Tina's Twitter

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Bludso's BBQ



















Anyone can grill and smoke meat but it takes someone with knowledge to barbecue. I love barbecue. I love it as a noun, a verb or an adjective. I love that you can spell it BBQ or bar-b-q. I love that it’s like a chameleon in that when cooked over wood, charcoal, pellets, gas or even electric heat it takes on all those different flavors. BBQ is a method of cooking meat low and slow. There are no short cuts and with all that said, Bludso’s does just that. I have had the experience of eating there and I have to say it took me back home to West Texas. You see, we Texans pride ourselves on our brisket and when I saw it on the menu I thought to myself, “Ok, I need to see that red ring. I want to be able to see that the smokiness has permeated throughout the meat.” I had so many questions in my head that I was sure they would fail my test. Thankfully, they rose to the occasion as the brisket had just the right smokiness. It was not dry and I was glad to see that they do not inject their meats. Oh, by the way, I shouldn’t have worried because there was the red ring in all its tasty glory.













My next dish was the meaty and juicy rib tips which I gnawed down to the cartilage. My family would have been proud. In speaking with Kevin Bludso, the recipe to his great cooking comes from his grandma and his many visit and time spent in Corsicana, Texas. He has stayed true to her recipes as everything is made fresh and there is nothing made from a box or can. He makes all of these items fresh daily: sausage, brisket, beef ribs, pork ribs, pork links, four cheese macaroni, collard greens, cornbread, banana pudding and red velvet cake as these are just a few of the items that are on the menu.
Today was a all about the meat day for me so I wanted nothing but that, I wanted to be able to savor each and every piece without any kind of sauce at first.


Another showcase item was the deep fried turkey in talking with Kevin you can purchase deep fried Turkey all throughout the year. If you have never had one I urge you to try.




Then next up was the banana pudding and if you have ever been to a bbq in Texas someone is either making or bringing the pudding and yes it has to have vanilla wafers, not the same if you change it, if it's not broken no need to fix it.




One rule in barbecuing is there has to be love in the food. The love factor has to be in there because if it’s not the food isn’t the same and I can say Bludso’s definitely puts the love in their food.

Bludso's
811 S Long Beach Blvd
Compton, CA 90221
(310) 637-1342
Bludso's BBQ on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

Diana H said...

Wow, scrumptious review. Made me hungry.