Tina's Twitter

Saturday, August 22, 2009

Dan Sung Sa: Pojangmacha



P3060127

Don’t let this place scare you. It’s not hard to find just look for the Kim Jon IL poster whose face is plastered on the restaurant sign. Inside it's kind of eerie with dim lighting, slightly dirty and crowded. I guess they're re going for a North Korean vibe. There is graffiti all over the walls making you wonder if you've arrived in a third world country. If you’re not a smoker beware because this place has no regard for the no-smoking law as it seems like you're encouraged to light up. So why am I telling you this? Because if you can look past all that then you might like the overall experience. I've been here several times as I was introduced by a friend who's as passionate about food as I am. The food is inexpensive as it's only on menu to encourage you drink as much as you can. It's a restaurant of hit-or-miss bar food that's loud, grimy and sometimes smokey but I always seem to have good time when I'm there.


Here is their menu on a wooden tablet.
P3060088

The first thing that comes out is complimetary
barley tea and vegetable soup.

P3060065
One of my favorite dishes is something I call the dumbbells. Stuffed with rice noodles, tempura battered and fried,wrapped in seaweed.
P3060098

Pig blood sausage It's mild and can be ordered steamed or fried.It had a nice mild buttery flavor

P3060100
Raw tofu topped with kimchee This was another one of my favorites. the tofu was nice and creamy the kimchee added a crunchy texture and spiciness, it all complimented each other well.
P3060113

Rabbokki with fish cakes (spicy) it's the same as tokkbokki but with ramen noodles added.
P3060109
Frog legs and anchovies grilled.
froglegs
Tender fried sliced egg rolls nice texture. Tasted like a rolled up omelete.

P3060091
Mackerel grilled needed some seasoning.
mackerel
Skewers ,shrimp, chicken, scallops, beef and mushrooms and the sauces.
P3060114

BBQ pork or should I say BBQ cartilage? I couldn't find the meat.
P3060123
Squid this was nice and spicy.
squid
Soju after about two of these I can’t remember what else I ate.
P3060076


Neighborhood: Koreatown
3317 W 6th St
Los Angeles, CA 90020
(213) 487-9100

Dan Sung Sa on Urbanspoon

No comments: